Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Orchids in the Mist

On my way to the subway from work I stopped at the Deathstar, which I'm going to have to start calling Wh-wh-who....Wholefoods soon. I did it. It's come to a point where I have to admit that there are some (and only some, I insist) things that are not overpriced and silly. Like the millions of (OK, 6) organic chicken breasts I bought today for $15. To pound flat into paillards, to lie under heaps of salad . Then I saw the orchids. Also $15...

I've never been drawn to orchids. They seemed sterile to me, false, scentless. Starting in December though, when a butterflyflock of large fuchsia pink and foam white Phalaenopsis arrived in Woolworths for Christmas, a little bug nipped me. I bought two then, one for a friend and one for my bathroom at my parents' house...

Orchids are such a cliche. How can I like them? But it seems I do. So I hunted round and round the pyramid of flowers todayand found a little pot that had two stems, and many buds, and took it home on the train. At home I welcomed it with a nice warm mist-bath after its frigid journey. Dreams of forests must flow very thinly in its hybridised veins, but maybe it remembers...




2 comments:

  1. Ah, Woolworths... Home to the best custard ever. And their nougat is pretty awesome too. And the biltong! All right, Safeway is dead. Long live Woolworths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and malva tart. Sigh. And figs. And snoek pate, :-), and little tiny frites...

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.