Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Caesar Salad

That it was invented in Tijuana, Mexico, by an Italian, I did not know. I was about to claim it as American. That the original may not have included anchovies? I did not know! There's a lot I don't know. And last night I did not know it so I used anchovies...

For one hungry person:

1 head of Romaine. If you don't have Romaine/Cos don't bother. You need crisp leaves that withstand the strong dressing and don't bend. Butter/Boston lettuce would be a disaster.
1 clove of garlic, squashed and made into a paste with the flat of a big knife and a little salt.
3 anchovies (or if you're proper, 1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce), chopped small.
About 1/4 cup grated parmesan. The real thing, no cheating.
1/2 a lime's juice.
1 egg yolk, raw. I live on the edge. Otherwise hardboiled yolk. Bo-ring.
Maybe 4 Tbsp olive oil?

So: yolk in a bowl, bit of pepper (add salt after anchovies and cheese if necessary) , and trickle in the oil, beating as for mayonnaise. Add garlic, beat. Add anchovies, beat. Add lime juice, beat. Add grated cheese.

Your lettuce is clean and you have chopped it into bite-sized chunks and put them in a large bowl. Pour over the dressing and toss thoroughly. I use my hands, then lick my fingers.

Then I deviate: I have been frying some lardons of very nice bacon, and in their fat I have been frying chunks of white bread for croutons. Croutons must be fried. If they are baked they are not croutons. Drain them on a paper towel. It's best if you rub a clove of garlic over the croutons, too. Add the lardons and croutons at the last minute. Crack some pepper over the top. Eat. Worry not: the garlic will take care of everything.


5 comments:

  1. How good looking is that salad!!!!
    Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the most amazing looking Caesar Salad I have ever seen. You wouldn't send that back to the kitchen in a restaurant, that's for sure! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a caesar salad lover and I would love a big bowl of this!!

    I am too "chicken" to use a raw egg.

    I feel so awful now for making my caesars with those packaged "et tu caesar' kits!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm...looks yummy, fresh and crisp....

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.