Friday, August 22, 2008

Get stuffed


[Yes, I do have some suppressed rage.]

This was the other day's tomato, still at Union Square. I bought it. It became my tomato. Last night I sliced its top off and scooped out its insides, which tasted very good. I reserved most of them, and lots of juice for gazpacho. [Click here for another tomato-juice application]

I bought a punnet of chanterelles from an uncommunicative dude in black leather and shiny sunglasses who had an icechest full of them.

When I tipped them out of their brown paper bag, at home, this walked out of their accompanying pine needles:

Spiders for supper. My favourite.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

After I'd calmed down I chopped some scallions/green onions, parsley, and some cubes of slab bacon I had baked last weekend, Hussar-style (long story), and sauteed that lot along with about a quarter of the tomato's insides. In went the sliced chanterelles. Then added some basmati rice cooked in chicken stock with a squeeze of lemon and tiny bit of brown sugar. And stuffed all that, with chopped terrace parsley, into the empty tomato. Baked for about 3/4's of an hour at 350'F adding a little water now and then.


7 comments:

  1. Wow, chanterelles, in the middle of summer, isn't that odd?

    Nope, I just looked it up. I didn't know they appeared that early! Lucky you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful that cooked tomato of yours, but wait, right hand side - at the back- stripey things - are they spider legs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That spider did have all its legs! What sort of spider is it, it looks similar to our housespider? I love stuffed peppers but would you believe I have never eaten a stuffed tomato, it looks absolutely delicious. You are such a great cook! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spider legs? Marie, I'm afraid Bobo is having a bad influence on you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Centvingt - yes you would have gone silly at the sight of all of them. Not sure where they come from - will ask the dude next time. His persona did not invite pleasantries. Mushroom trade must be rough.

    Pam - you made me look!

    Louise - actually...I see 7 legs??? No idea what sort of spider. A pine needle spider?

    Sigrid: yes...damn cat. He will post a picture of his breakfast later, I believe. He prefers the soft green cicadas. This one was different and a little spiky, I suspect. The angst in his stuffed-mouth miaowmmmm spoke volumes: he needed help. How do I ead thees???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this blog at 8am is probably a silly idea - I'll have my mind focussed on food now when it should be focussed on work!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.