Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mangosteens


More from Granville Island. Can you tell I like the place? And I will be back there on Friday because that is when the duck prosciutto arrives...

I can't find these in New York. They look like big grenadillas, or passion fruit, with a beautiful daisy-reduction design-detail at the tip of shell (can a round shell have a tip?).

I was expecting an interior like a lychee, but found this, ah, suggestive flesh...

Beautiful. Texture of segments: delicately firm on the outside, very soft on the inside. The larger segments contained a pip. The flavour?...not comparable to anything I have eaten. Sweet, yes, slightly astringent, a little flowery. Exactly the kind of thing I would like to serve au naturelle on a platter of tropical fruits after a hands-on feast of black-bean, stir-fried crab.

1 comment:

  1. those photos are beautiful. The first one especially. Now that makes me want to dye some yarn in those colors.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.