Friday, July 16, 2010

Fig trouble

Something is wrong with my figs. Not all of them, but about a quarter of the crop.

They are turning yellow and soft, and I know that they will drop off. Water. I water every day, sometimes twice and the pot dries out very quickly. The fig really needs a new home, despite its root pruning. Could it be too much water? I doubt it. I never water a damp pot. Maybe it is too little. Maybe I should not have fed it again.

I am sad. But also puzzled.

The herbs are still doing well. But then, when aren't they?

We have eaten all the garlic. Summer savoury features often in my cooking at the moment, and we need to eat basil faster.

Dan's Fire Island hollyhocks came up at long, long last some months ago and are now sturdy little plants also needing a bigger pot. They are on the stone table in the picture.

5 comments:

  1. Hazarding a guess about the figs -heat stress causing them to discard some fruit? All that seems to be left is disease in an otherwise healthy looking plant.

    We just started eating our basil last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your figs. my neighbor has a fig tree I'll ask him if he has any tips.
    I can't wait to read about your bisque!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're losing figs too. I'm with frank.
    I think it's the heat.

    Now if I could only drop heat related some lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heat. OK, then. That makes me feel a bit better.

    Lily H - first I need lobster shells :-) And cool weather...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Figs can handle dry heat, but the humidity will knock them. Every. Single. Time.

    Please send your excess basil! I've grazed mine to the pot-rim!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.