Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Wrongness


I am a creature of habit. I mean, who isn't? Coffee in the morning, wine at night, sun in the east, dipping west, witch hazels in February...the usual.

When you become used to something any disturbance in its accepted pattern rattles you. And when I walked past the camellia on Pacific Street yesterday and saw it in bloom behind the scarlet-leafed Japanese maple, my knees went funny. It's supposed to bloom in March. March! It is not a fall camellia.


So we had that October snowstorm. And now this week, at the end of November, the weather is balmy.  The tight round green buds opened.

It's just that...I was looking forward to March, with its April grand finale.

March without the camellia.

...

What do its owners think?


Talk about signs and portents. It doesn't get much more serious than this.

I may have to leave a note.

6 comments:

  1. I'm all about the omens.

    Send a picture to those running for the presidency who don't believe in global warming.

    They still won't but they'll get to enjoy a lovely blossom.

    xo J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is lovely, tho. As much as I love the things that seem to be popping open early, I worry that all their friends will be frozen and we will have an ucky spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Things out of season can be profoundly jarring. I can remember being extremely anxious during the winters of 2005/2006 and 2006/2007 (I think I got the years straight but could be off by a year one way or the other), when it was crazy warm and daffodils bloomed in January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With you on this one. Who does one complain to??! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My peonies have buds! And I remember a couple years back the cherry trees in Boston bloomed in the middle of winter.... I wonder if I will have peony flowers in the spring?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed my allium schubertii coming up. At least my daffodils aren't awake, but I did notice some up in Montclair, NJ on my bike ride. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.