Friday, January 4, 2013

Don't kill the broccoli


This is the broccoli I steamed to death, recently. After being "refreshed" (fat chance) it is recuperating, here,  on some paper towels.

The distracted cook.

This weekend I shall try to atone for this cardinal sin by trying again - searching for some juicy, cold-weather broccoli if there is any left at the farmers' market. It has been cold, below freezing every night, though, and I'm not sure that even hardy broccoli will have made it through.

The drink above was never finished that night - Brooklyn Bitters and wild black cherry-infused bourbon.

More distraction.

9 comments:

  1. I love this recipe, believe it or not!

    http://food52.com/blog/2860_roy_finamores_broccoli_cooked_forever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, what a waste of a pretty drink! If that Frenchman is responsible for that distraction, shame on him....

    Love broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed about half. Maybe we need smaller glasses :-)

      Delete
  3. Smaller glasses? Are you mad? Better to kill the broccoli than to waste the drink. Good luck finding more ... of each!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That broccoli looks perfectly fine to me—it's still green, isn't it? Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Marie (Frenchie & Puss), I know you like to check your stats so if I am showing up and you are wondering what I am doing, I am periodically reading your old posts. I got here through a search for small space gardening, and now I am hooked lol.
    I will show up as a visitor from Dundee (Broughty Ferry actually), Scotland. Just wanted to say hi and that I love the blog.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids love broccoli hammered like that! A little good olive oil and sea salt go a long ways with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is when you get out the blender and make broccoli soup puree (did I spell that right? It doesn't look right). Add some cooked potato or mashed white beans, fat free half and half, oh, and of course, garlic and hot pepper flakes! Float a few croutons on top, maybe some leftover pesto drizzle....

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.