Monday, June 23, 2014

Mo' roses


Am I overdoing the rose posts?

It's just that when these are kaput it will be a while before they re-bloom. Because of the the sun thing (not much of...).

Boscobel is above, Darcy Bussell, below, turning quite carmine after her blackly red beginnings. Both hold up well in the middle-of-the-day blast of heat they receive.

The one rose not doing too well is the new Abraham Darby - I placed it too far back on the terrace, closest our bedroom door, in the hopes that I could train it up 'n over. But the sun stays there not very long at all. I may have to do a switcheroo. The Brooklyn Abraham Darby is in the planter box at the southern edge of the terrace, and gets the most sun. It is happy, even though it is sharing with low life nasturtiums and strawberries and Echinacea.



6 comments:

  1. Can never be enough of these beauties.

    On nasturtiums, once again I planted and once again the dried up and died. Sob.

    Too hot? Too wet? Too dry? Too bad.

    xo J

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Jane said about roses - never too many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your roses looks like it's blooming so well! Do you use compost or any natural fertilizers to boost blooms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Espoma's Rose Tone and also seaweed fertilizer.

      Delete
  4. Because it is so damp in the PNW roses always get blackspot and usually powdery mildew. I swore I would never plant roses again, but....Jubilee Celebration stole my heart on a recent trip to the UK so I'm in the hunt for a source!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.