Thursday, June 26, 2014

The city terrace


Yes. Do look up. Because that is what defines what I can grow. North, and the cut-off top of the townhouse we live in, are at the top of the image. But eastern (L) and western (R) suns are cut off, which makes for the midday blast. Plants have to sign waivers before being allowed to live here. "We understand the conditions as set forth in the blablabla and shall not hold the gardener liable..."


The Gloriosa lilies have opened much earlier than anticipated. The ones on the birch fence opened first, and seem very happy.


Down below, in the shadier recesses, are the Dicentra that Paul and Sonya brought up from Virginia last week.


The pink English rose (Boscobel) has lasted surprisingly well in warm weather.


Yeah. Houston? You know that problem everyone keeps saying we have?


It's h-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-re.

Black swallowtail larvae. I swear they followed me from Brooklyn. You want to know what I did? Really? Really???

I put them back. Yup. Right back on the damn parsley. Eat it, I said. I'm going to be away for a while and ain't no way no Frenchman is going to eat the parsley while I am gone. He hates parsley.


So, who knows?


The black raspberries are ripening as fast as I look at them. I baked some in little pies today, with cherries and serviceberries and apples.


The blueberries ripen from the tip of their clusters, down.


And bubbles pour out of the bottle, when you tip it. 

There it is. 

Dayeen. Dayoud.

_______________

14 comments:

  1. Glad you like the Dicentra :) I keep expecting ours to stop flowering, but it's been blooming for three months and still sending up buds. I keep waiting for caterpillars on our Asclepias, but don't see anything yet. Congrats on the tigers in your parsley :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will take a picture from the top, soon, to show you where the boxwoods are!

      Delete
  2. Could you give us the name of that particular Dicentra, s'il vous plait?

    Nancy Mc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe the lilies are at the top of the trellis already. That seems really quick. And it's amazing the variety of things you manage to grow on that patio. I'm impressed. I'm not doing half so well and I have a large sunny back yard. But I work 50 hours a week so that prolly has something to do with it. Work, work, work... dayeen, dayoud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De-stress for half an hour a day in the garden...

      Delete
  4. I grow fennel especially for the caterpillars. It makes me so happy to see them feasting it because I know there will be beautiful butterflies fluttering around soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Frenchman hates parsley? Oops! I chopped some onto his salad...he never said a word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He may have been too jet lagged to speak :-)

      Delete
  6. I just have to say I love your blog! /Lena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for the caterpillars. So glad you are letting them be. That first shot is gorgeous in its stark way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing catepillars on my plants. They loved eating my carrot tops. And I just left them there to eat. Eat. Eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there is a fresh batch on my frilly parsley :(

      Eat, eat, eat.

      Delete

Comments on posts older than 48 hours are moderated (for spam control) . Yours will be seen! Unless you are a troll. Serial trollers are banned.